El Niño, Red, Arctic Ocean, Temperature, Carbon Dioxide & Climate – Earth Science
The key terms in this Earth Sciences course include El Niño, Red, Arctic Ocean, Temperature, Carbon Dioxide, Greenhouse, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Upwelling, Density, Coriolis Effect, Prevailing Winds, Shore
Which of the following separates layers of different density?
- pycnocline – correct
If you took a white piece of plastic to a depth of 180 m, what color would it appear?
- blue – correct
Where would you find the least dense water?
- at the surface of the Atlantic Ocean – correct
- at 1,000 m in the Antarctic Ocean
- below 1,000 m in the Pacific Ocean
- at 200 m in the Arctic Ocean
Which of the following makes ice cores so useful in determining the composition of the atmosphere in the past?
- the presence of pollen
- air bubbles – correct
- the temperature of the core
- fossilized plants
How are the changes in atmospheric carbon dioxide described?
- Carbon dioxide levels have remained the same. .
- Carbon dioxide levels have increased. – correct
- The Carbon dioxide levels have decreased.
Which of the following is a list of greenhouse gases?
- oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide
- water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane – correct
- nitrogen, water vapor, helium
- water vapor, oxygen, sulfur
Carbon Dioxide & Climate
A thick tree ring indicates which of the following?
- cold year
- dry year
- nutrient-rich year
- warm year – correct
What impact can a volcanic eruption have on climate?
- Climate is cooled as dust falls from the sky.
- Climate is cooled as dust blocks incoming sunlight. – correct
- The Climate is warmed as dust increases the greenhouse effect.
How does plate tectonics affect climate?
- increased earthquakes
- extinction of animals
- changing earth’s position on its axis
- changing ocean circulation – correct
Which two factors cause upwelling?
- differences in density and daily tides
- prevailing winds and the Coriolis effect – correct
- the Coriolis effect and changes in salinity
- prevailing winds and daily tides
Which of the following varies daily?
- shoreline – correct
A spring tide occurs during which of the following conditions?
- The moon-earth and sun-earth alignments are perpendicular.
- The earth is aligned with the moon and the sun. – correct
- Earth is aligned with the moon only.
- The earth is aligned with the sun only.
The lack of upwelling during an El Niño period results in which of the following?
- a severe drop in water temperature
- fish migration to other parts of the ocean – correct
- huge and damaging waves
- movement of nutrients to the surface
Which of the following was one result of El Niño that occurred in 1997-1998?
- severe rains in Brazil
- extremely cold winters in the northeast
- droughts in Africa
- heavy mudslides in California – correct