Coriolis Effect & Wind, Climate, Currents, Pelagic Zone, South, Ocean– Earth Science
The key terms in this Earth Science course include Iceland, Climate, Currents, Pelagic Zone, Deep Zone, South, Ocean, Shoreline, Wind, Density, Gravity, Salt, Ocean Ridge, Coriolis Effect, Northern Hemisphere, Prevailing Winds, Upwelling, Velocity, Temperature, North, Salinity, Thermohaline, Earth Science.
Which of the following explanations would account for Iceland’s climate if there were no surface currents?
- Iceland would become drier and warmer.
- Iceland would become drier and colder. – correct
- The Iceland would be wetter and warmer.
- Iceland would become wetter and colder.
The western shoreline of a continent in the Northern Hemisphere runs directly in a north-south direction.
Prevailing winds blowing from the __________ will produce coastal upwelling.
Which word best completes the sentence?
- west – correct
Two divers are diving in clear ocean water at a depth of 175 m. One diver shows a white marker board to the other with writing on it.
What color will the marker board appear to be?
- blue – correct
Which of the following drives global thermohaline (conveyor belt) circulation?
- changes in wind direction and velocity
- the changes in gravity
- changes in density – correct
- changes in pH
Which of the following changes on a daily basis?
- a shore
- a beach
- a coast
- a shoreline – correct
Which of the following is important in accumulating and removing sands that result in shifting barrier islands?
- geostrophic currents
- rip currents
- longshore currents – correct
Coriolis Effect & Wind
Which of the following factors interact to create currents that are 50 m deep?
- temperature, gravity, and the Coriolis effect
- density, temperature, and salinity
- wind, friction, and the Coriolis effect – correct
- wind, temperature, and salinity
Which of the following gases gets added to seawater primarily by geological processes?
- methane – correct
A pycnocline is a boundary between changing regions of which of the following properties?
- density – correct
- sound velocity
Where would you find the coldest, saltiest waters in the oceans?
- deep zone – correct
- surface-mixed zone
- pelagic zone
- transition zone
Which of the following conditions will produce the largest waves?
- weak, short duration winds in a small fetch
- strong, short duration winds in a small fetch
- strong, long duration winds in a large fetch – correct
- weak, long duration winds in a large fetch
Which statement best describes the ocean floor?
- It is mostly flat, with little distinguishing features.
- It is varied and includes features such as submarine canyons, atolls, and mid-ocean ridges. – correct
- Ocean floor is mostly covered with undersea mountain ranges.
- It is varied and includes mostly undersea volcanoes and seamounts.