Scientific Method And Hypothesis
In this chapter we discuss scientific method and hypothesis of botany.
The scientific method begins with ____________________
- a tentative, unproven explanation of an observation
- reading scientific journals
- substantiated observations that aren’t explained by existing principles or theories – correct
- restating a general theory in understandable terms
- testing hypotheses generated to explain observations
According to the scientific method, a hypothesis is ___________________
- a well supported idea expanded from facts via reasoning but is not currently known to be entirely or universally true.
- an idea or explanation that is a basis for experimental investigation. – correct
- information that is known and specific.
- the last step in the scientific method that deals with collection of data.
- an experimentally demonstrated fact.
Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of all plants?
- are eukaryotic
- produce seeds – correct
- have cell walls
- are multicellular
Living on land required that plants
- evolve photosynthetic pigments.
- exchange gases.
- conserve water. – correct
- have cell walls.
Which of the following includes a plant embryo, a food supply, and a protective covering?
- pollen grain
- seed – correct
You want to know what fertilizer will allow you to grow the largest tomatoes. You purchased two different fertilizers. You start applying each fertilizer, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, to two separate of tomato plants. What is missing from your experiment?
- A control group with no fertilizer -correct
- A control group with both fertilizer
- A control group that is given only half the fertilizer amount
- A control group of another type of plant (like green beans)
- A control group with a third type of fertilizer
The ______________ generation is haploid, and the __________ generation is diploid.
- gametophyte; sporophyte – correct
- sporophyte; gametophyte
- gamete; spore
- spore; gamete
An ovary develops in to a ________________and an ovule becomes a __________.
- fruit; seed – correct
- pollen; seed
- seed; fruit
- They stay as flowers.
Three features of plants that facilitated their survival on land are a waxy cuticle, stomata, and multicellular gametangia.
- True – correct
In plants, the gametophyte is formed from the union of two gametes, and the sporophyte is formed from the union of two spores.
- False – correct